Akshaya Tritiya is a festival in India celebrated by both Hindus & Jains. In 2021, the festival will be celebrated on the 3rd of May (Tuesday). The significance of Akshaya Tritiya is quite high in both Hinduism and Jainism but for some reason, it’s one of the lesser known festivals in the country. So, in the hope to enlighten our readers with more information on this auspicious festival and the Akshaya Tritiya puja benefits, we’ve curated the following information for you.
Akshaya Tritiya Meaning
Also known as “Akti” or “Akha Teej”, Akshaya Tritiya is the annual spring time festival for Hindus & Jains within India. Akshaya in Sanskrit refers to eternity an Tritiya refers to “The 3rd”. The name has been derived from the third lunar day of the spring month of Vaisakha.
Akshaya Tritiya Significance
This auspicious day is celebrated to honor the day, Lord Ganesha started writing the now infamous “Mahabharata”. It is also believed that when the Pandavas where sent to exile, Lord Ganesha presented them with a bowl called “Akshaya Tritiya” that had the ability to endlessly provide food.
Which is why, it is said that any venture or business started on this day is destined to succeed. The ventures don’t have to be business related either, a lot of people tend to get married on this day in hope of being blessed by a long, prosperous and happy marriage.
Worshipping different gods on this day can help you receive their blessings better than any other day (Unless ofcourse dedicated to the god in question). For example, Lord Krishna will provide you Moksha, Lord Shiva will bless your marriage with good health and ofcourse, worshipping Lord Ganesha will provide you with courage and knowledge.
Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi
If followed, the points listed below will ensure your Akshaya Tritiya to be as prosperous for you and your loved ones as ever.
Akshaya Tritiya Puja at Home
1. Wake up as early in the morning as possible and treat yourself to an auspicious bath.
2. While there is no hard and fast rule, it’s best advised to keep a fast through the day.
3. Make offerings to Lord Vishnu by presenting the idol you’re worshipping with sandalwood paste and flowers.
4. Place sesame seeds, chana dal, sweets and rice on your pooja thali as prasad.
5. The Vishnu Sahasranama mantra is to be recited as authentically as possible.
6. Make donations to those in need. It is even believed to beneficial to make donations to Brahmins. The donations mentioned here refer to financial support.
7. Worship Maa Parvati by offering the goddess wheat, milk, gold, kalsh, cloth and channa daal.
8. Provide food to the poor and feed cows and their calf’s grass.
Listed Below Are Some Of The Most Well Known Akshaya Tritiya Puja Mantras
Mantra To Be Chanted While Making A Sandalwood Offering To Lord Vishnu
“Yam Karothi thruthiyayaam Krishnam Chandanam Bhushitam Vaishakhasyasthithe Pakshe Sayathyachyutha Mandiram”
Mantra For Lord Ganesha
"Om Gam Ganapathaye Namaha" "Vakratunda Mahakaya Suryakoti Samaprabha Nirvighnam Kurume Deva Sarvakaryeshu Sarvada"
Mantra To Be Chanted While Helping Those In Need
"Sri parameshwara preethyartha muda kumbhadaanoktha phala vaapyartham brahmana yodakumbha daanam karishye thadanga kalasha pujyadhikam cha karishye"
Mantra For Goddess Mahalaxmi
"Om Shree Maha Lakshmyai Cha Vidmahe Vishnu Patnayai Cha Dheemahi Tanno Lakshmi Prachodayat Om"